• Hi All,

Running SQL Server 2012E

I have an table which I am loading with new data

I am entering value 0 and value 999999 two separate insert statements

Inserted about 5000 records incremented 1 -5000

then insert 999999

I run:

DBCC CHECKIDENT ('TableName', RESEED, 0);

Checking identity information: current identity value '1001001'. Current id would be 999999

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

DBCC CHECKIDENT ('TableName');

Checking identity information: current identity value '0', current column value '1001001'. Current id would be 999999

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

DBCC CHECKIDENT ( TableName, RESEED )

Checking identity information: current identity value '0', current column value '1001003'.

increments to next highest value current column value

DBCC CHECKIDENT ( TableName, NORESEED )

insert new value it does not insert

Checking identity information: current identity value '1', current column value '1001004'.

I have records inserted in the first 5000 ID's.

I want to start at the 5001.

I thought if you reseed the value it will search for the first open spot etc.

OK! Doing a little more research.

My identity column is a primary key column.

So I guess my question is!

Is there a way to insert data into the column that has a higher value?

Example:

ID:

Would it be possible to RESEED at 1 and have SQL fill in

When I enter new data the next value is either 100000 0r 100999

I am trying to get start at identity of 1 "One"

Any ideas?

• If you want to have control over the values in your IDENTITY column, I suggest that you don't use an IDENTITY column, or that you consider using SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON to force in those values which you want.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• My question would be, why you want this behavior especially on the primary key which is having an Identity? Why you want to avoid gaps in a identity???

• Take a look at using a Sequence object instead of an Identity property. You can control Sequence values very easily.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply