Rerporting server Moving to new domain

• Hello,

we have more or less 1500 reports till date and we are moving to new domain in a month or two.

we have configured permission based on domainname\username and it is not configured on a folder basis.

every report may have different user access. how to change it to the new domain with same user name.

is there any easy way?.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• It's only possible if the new domain can authenticate users to the old domain. Otherwise, you have to change the accounts (and you should anyway).

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• is there any thrid party tool which will help in this regard. free or nominal charges..

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• Experts you views.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• Is it just the server or are the users and servers changing domain?

If its just the server, ensure that there is a trust between the two domains so that authentication can occur, if its all the users then you will need to recreate them as they will more than likely have a different Windows SID and therefore break the authentication mechanisums built into SSRS.

Now would be a good time to look at standardising your authentication methods and use AD groups instead of granting each user access to what they want to see, makes it a lot easier to administer in terms of security.

• thanks antony

All the users and servers and moving to new domain and old will be Decommissioned once the new domain started.

The access will keep on getting change that why we havent gone for AD changes, do you still want to use AD and give access.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• AD Groups is by far the most simplist way to configure security in SSRS, it is up to you if you want to go down this route or not, I cannot make that decission for you.

Seems like a Side by Side migration to the new domain then, will you have a new SSRS server or will the domain of the existing SSRS server just be changed?

• Seems like a great moment to clean up and implement a better security structure.

Are all 1500+ reports in use?

Is it possible to do this over an extended period of time? E.g. Only change the security after receiving a call that a report is needed....

Btw, what authentication method is used in your report data sources?

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, read Jeff Moden's suggestions.[/url]

"Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten." ― Terry Pratchett, Mort

• our setup is

A New SSRS server will be created in new domain.

Datasources use sql user connection.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• In that case I would go down the route of AD groups and get a a copy of RSScriptor to copy the objects from the old server to the new server.

• thanks RSScriptor we have and report movment is not an issue.

the only thing concerned is access configuration.

thanks for all the information , i'll check for the AD access with the leaders.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply