Reproduce Oracle Cursor in SQL Server

• Hi,

I recently moved from Orcale to SQL Server. I received help with a cursor in Oracle but I'm battling to reproduce this in SQL Server. Not sure if anyone will be able to help. The logic shouldn't be too difficult to follow.

declare

cursor curs is

select NameID, IncidentDate

from table_1 t

--where rownum < 6

for update of itc_latest;

w_itc_latest number(4,0);

w_itc_latest_date date;

begin

for i in curs loop

begin

-- get latest itc date

select max(ITCScoreDate) into w_itc_latest_date

from Staging.ITCChecks

where NameID = i.NameID

and ITCScoreDate <= i.IncidentDate;

-- get latest itc score

select ITCScore into w_itc_latest

from Staging.ITCChecks

where NameID = i.NameID

and ITCScoreDate = w_itc_latest_date

and ITCScoreDate <= i.IncidentDate

and rownum = 1;

exception when no_data_found then

w_itc_latest_date := NULL;

w_itc_latest := NULL;

end;

update table_1

set itc_latest = w_itc_latest

, itc_latest_date = w_itc_latest_date

where current of curs;

end loop;

end;

/

• MS SQL cursor is not a well performing solution (Oracle is somewhat better in it). Please try to achieve it with set based approach.

• I went through the same process a while back (coming from Oracle) and the syntax of SQL Server is fairly similar. If you look at Books Online for SQL Server, search under CURSOR and FETCH. It is very easy to switch the syntax.

E.g. DECLARE curs CURSOR FOR

SELECT....

FROM

FETCH NEXT FROM curs

It's true though that in SQL Server CURSORS are discouraged... I'm sure that one of the gurus will jump in soon with a suggestion to point you in a better direction. You'll find this forum much more friendly than some of the people in certain Oracle forums 😉

Steve

• Thanks for the feedback. People on this forum are noticeably more friendly than Oracle forums!:-D

• One thing that will really help you get good answers quickly is to follow the instructions in the first article you will find referenced below in my signature block. If you provide the DDL (CREATE TABLE statement(s)) for the table(s) involved, sample data (as a series of INSERT INTO statements) for the table(s) involved (no more than 10 to 15 rows being needed as long as it properly represents the problem domain and isn't live or production data), and the expected results based on the provided sample data.

Make sure the code you post works, isn't dependent on anything on your system that we may not have, and remember that some environments out here are case sensitive (mine at home for one).

The more you provide us, the better answers you will get plus the code will be tested as well.

• Will definitely keep that in mind for future queries:-) Thanks

• mic.con87 (12/20/2011)

Will definitely keep that in mind for future queries:-) Thanks

Glad to hear this, but it is also important for this query as well. I'd help right now, but without the information I talked about, not many of us may jump in when we have to create everything from scratch and guess at what you are actually trying to accomplish.

I worked as an Oracle developer myself for a year, and even there I fought hard to NOT use cursors, finding set-based methods of accomplish the required tasks.

• Hi,

I was able to achieve the result I needed without the use of a cursor. Thanks again for your advice and your willingness to help.

• Would you mind sharing your script here? Its SSC tradition and it will complete the thread. 🙂

• Sure thing.

Select it.*

,(Select --Find the latest ITC Score before the incident took place

ITCScore

from Staging.ITCChecks ri

where ri.NameID = it.NameID

and ITCScoreDate = (select max(ri.ITCScoreDate)

from Staging.ITCChecks ri

where ri.NameID = it.NameID

and ri.ITCScoreDate <= it.IncidentDate

)

) as ITCScore

INTO #InitialTable_18

From #InitialTable_17 it

Select * from #InitialTable_18

Drop Table #InitialTable_18

• Thanks!

Glad it worked out well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply