Representing uncertainty in difficult times

• call.copse wrote:

Orange one wasn't a criticism at all merely a descriptor.

Like I said, I have no great love for the man but "orange one" isn't just a "descriptor" .  It's meant to be and is used as a passive-aggressive but high insult and, for a lot of people, falls into the category of name-calling.  It's also highly insulting to the person in the discussion if they think well of or have an appreciation for the person that's the target of the "descriptor".  "Descriptors" such as that are a large reason why conversations, especially politically based conversations go into the dumper so quickly.  It takes a lot more skill in a conversation to avoid such "descriptors" but is well worth it so they don't provide a diversion for the issue(s) being discussed.

p.s.  I agree with the concept that running for offices has become more of a financial contest and deters (along with a sick press) good people from running.  Apparently, it's the "Golden Rule" in play... "Those that have the Gold, make the rules".  Of course, we're not the only country in the world with that or worse problems.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• call.copse wrote: "Orange one wasn't a criticism at all merely a descriptor."

Yeah, sure.

"But cheer up, you're likely to be fine, especially if no grandkids etc!"

Well, Call, I've 'gotcha' on that one too.  Along with working and saving to take care of ourselves, my wife and I put away 529 College Savings Plans for five grandchildren on top of taking care of ourselves.  We raised four sons in a manner that they AND our grandchildren will not be dependent on anyone but themselves.  Of course, it's difficult to protect them from the giveaway and freebies that the rest of the population seems to expect of them.

But you are correct in one sense about President Trump's predecessor.  What he did for us was to keep economic growth and investment returns low while those of us who are smart were buying things at lowered values so that when President Trump restarted the economy we benefited on what we were holding.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• "p.s.  I agree with the concept that running for offices has become more of a financial contest and deters (along with a sick press) good people from running.  Apparently, it's the "Golden Rule" in play... "Those that have the Gold, make the rules".

Jeff, doesn't that sort of make sense?  If those who DON't have the gold make the rules, then NOBODY will have gold.

Rick

• skeleton567 wrote:

"p.s.  I agree with the concept that running for offices has become more of a financial contest and deters (along with a sick press) good people from running.  Apparently, it's the "Golden Rule" in play... "Those that have the Gold, make the rules".

Jeff, doesn't that sort of make sense?  If those who DON't have the gold make the rules, then NOBODY will have gold.

I'm not sure that would be true.  I've seen many that want to make the rules to get the Gold even if the rules are bad.

And, don't get me wrong... I've absolutely nothing against people making a fortune.  Heh... I'm trying to do so myself so that I can retire one day.  I'm just disappointed in the candidates that have been running for and getting into office over the last several decades.  Of course, I'm also pretty well disgusted with a lot of the so-called journalists out there, as well.  I'll also state that, I'm not qualified to actually judge them mostly because I hate politics.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• skeleton567 wrote:

But you are correct in one sense about President Trump's predecessor.  What he did for us was to keep economic growth and investment returns low while those of us who are smart were buying things at lowered values so that when President Trump restarted the economy we benefited on what we were holding.

It's called 'stable growth' I think skele. There's a lot to commend it. If you are only about soaring numbers and extravagant returns consider this; when the inevitable diasaster comes it's not the exceptionally rich folk that are affected, it's the likes of us in the middle. It's a tactic to which I doubt you are rich enough to be invincible.

For a source you may approve of which agrees with my viewpoint please review the recent issue of the Economist:

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/05/07/the-market-v-the-real-economy?cid1=cust/ednew/n/bl/n/2020/05/7n/owned/n/n/nwl/n/n/UK/468836/n

You may find your vaunting of a 'gangster president' backfires somewhat unpleasantly. I'm pretty sure even you would not allow him to babysit any grandaughters. However you are happy to give him the levers of US power? You're not remotely bothered by democidal tendencies? By incestuous desires? By obvious racism? By environmental destruction? By erosion of educational standards? By record numbers of imprisoned associates? By anti-democratic actions? Well, I guess you're alright Jack....so far.

• I didn't, in fact, hire him to babysit my granddaughters, of which I have five, nor would I do so.   I voted for him to run our country as he has successfully run businesses, unlike his predecessor.

It's been fun poking you and hearing your mindless rants.  All you want to is blame him for your woes, all of which existed long before he was elected, and not give him any credit for what he has accomplished.

I might also comment that President Trump is not the one in the news today wanting to give everyone $2000/month for the next several months.  He's not the looney one proposing that we cancel rents for several months and screw owners of rental properties.  Who's going too take care of them?

When a liberal takes care of, you KNOW you've been taken care of....

Rick

• Clearly you are free to dismiss my genuine concerns, and those of the Economist, and if you're still in the ring for this regime it's pretty clear we're not likely to see eye to eye.

I do wonder how you can not be concerned at the weak and incompetent leadership in play here though. Our guy (Johnson) is bloody awful but he has been at least twice as effective as your man there. Epidemiological experts say 63k of US deaths are a direct result of slow action.

• call.copse wrote:

Clearly you are free to dismiss my genuine concerns, and those of the Economist, and if you're still in the ring for this regime it's pretty clear we're not likely to see eye to eye.

I do wonder how you can not be concerned at the weak and incompetent leadership in play here though. Our guy (Johnson) is bloody awful but he has been at least twice as effective as your man there. Epidemiological experts say 63k of US deaths are a direct result of slow action.

Call, you have reminded me of an experience I had over 50 years ago .  I was sitting at my desk handling an 'all systems down' situation when my boss walked in and said "Don't you have that figured out yet?  That should be easy".

I got up, handed him the materials, and said "Jeff, if it is so f''ing easy, handle it yourself'", and walked out.

So far I haven't heard YOUR name in the news as having solved the problems either.

Rick

• skeleton567 wrote:

call.copse wrote:

Clearly you are free to dismiss my genuine concerns, and those of the Economist, and if you're still in the ring for this regime it's pretty clear we're not likely to see eye to eye.

Call, you have reminded me of an experience I had over 50 years ago .  I was sitting at my desk handling an 'all systems down' situation when my boss walked in and said "Don't you have that figured out yet?  That should be easy".

I got up, handed him the materials, and said "Jeff, if it is so f''ing easy, handle it yourself'", and walked out.

So far I haven't heard YOUR name in the news as having solved the problems either.

Fortunately that's not in my remit, myself not being a world leader. Handily, however, we DO have the names of other leaders that have worked on the same problems, which are obviously difficult. By any objective standard, the US can be seen to have responded uniquely incompetently in comparison - it's an outlier for infections and deaths. Unlike when the swine flu outbreak hit for example.

• I vote that this conversation end now.  Unsubscribing. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply