Repository - Unreconized Database Format

• Hello all,

We are using SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition as our OLAP server. It has been performing very well until just recently, when I have been unable to connect to the server via Analysis Manager.

The error returned is :

"Cannot connect to the repository. Error: Unrecognized database format"

The message also displays the path to the repository file, which is correct.

The repository is stored as a mdb.

Cubes on the server can still be queried by OLAP viewing tools.

I have reinstalled Analysis Services Service pack 3a and restarted the server but the problem remains.

Has anyone come up against this problem? I am really not sure what would be the best next step. Options I am considering are:

• Attempt to open the mdb in Access with a view to repairing it

• Attempt to migrate the repository from access to SQL Server. From what I know though, this can only be done via a wizard which is only available through Analysis Manager which of course I cannot access…

• Reinstall Analysis Services

As well I am wondering what might have triggered the problem. The server has only a few users at this stage and is not experiencing heavy loads at all.

Any advice on this issue would be very much appreciated. I have spent some time looking for similar cases but have been unsuccessful.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Haven't seen this myself, but ...

Check out this link and see whether it's of any use:

http://dbforums.com/t485458.html

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Phil,

The post does deal with the same issue, and using Access to repair the repository database worked for me also.

Don't know what caused the corruption in the first instance though.  I am going to migrate the repository to SQL server to hopefully avoid a repeat performance.

• You might want to seriously think about migrating to a seperate DB (ie don't use msdb) so you can back it up and resotre it seperately also.

Steve.

• Cheers Steve,  Have done so and am backing up my repository like a maniac.

JeremyalsofromOZ

• Perhaps I should have signed myself

PhilfromEnglandbutlivinginOz

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I'm trying to change mine to SteveOriginallyFromOZButNowInUS.....   Anyone got a spare visa sponsorship for a hardworking aussie?

Steve.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply