ReportServer database / service packs and hotfixes

• looking into a SAN based DR solution and I have everything nailed down but one thing...Report Server.

My plan is to install OS on C, SQL binaries on E. both those drives are local. set all user databases to go to SAN F and G. F is data and G is logs.

the SAN then mirrors the drives F and G to the other datacenter.

I am concerned that during failover, the reporting server will not be mirrored under this config.

So lets say i set report server and report server temp to go onto G and F like the rest of the user DB's.

Now I have a service pack or hotfix to install on both nodes. Of course I can do the active node, but the mirrored node has report server's DB on a Read Only drive F and G. Will the service pack fail because that db is unavailable?

Is the same true for SSAS?

It is a client requirement that all services be installed 🙁

• Please use the following at your own risk. I donot have experience in SAN administration.

But I have enough experience in desinging scalable and fail-over architectures for web and reporting services.

Applying the service packs to Reporting Services typically upgrades the database.

However, the upgrade is done only if the ReportServer database is of a lower version than that being provided by the Service Pack.

So I think, in this case, if the ReportServer database is already updated from the live node with the write permissions, the back up node with read only permissions will not attempt to upgrade the database again when you install the ServicePacks and patches.

I hope this helps. Please post back any results or comments on how it pans out for you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply