Reporting Services - Solving a 401 Error

  • Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reporting Services - Solving a 401 Error

  • Hi,

    Can I use similar procedure for SQL server 2005 SSRS?



    Kiran Gajendragadkar

    Tech Mahindra bangalore

  • This only applies to SSRS 2008. SSRS 2005 uses IIS, therefore these options would be set there. shoot me an email at if you need help.

  • You mentioned at the bottom of this article that you had some other problems with .net applications and the SSRS web service. I have just upgraded to 2008 and we are having some problems with rendering a report from a .net application. We have found that the wsdl reference is different and the methods are also different. We now have it working from within VisualStudio. But, when we try to run the application under IIS we get the following error Message : Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'. Any ideas?

  • This is a very good upgrade article but why it was named "Solving a 401 error" ?

    Regards,Yelena Varsha

  • ERROR: Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.

    We did encounter this error. You have to ensure that your proxy or application is referencing the correct webservice. We refreshed the Web service and the error was resolved. Hope this helps.

  • Thanks. It was named that way because if you do not follow all the steps you will encounter a 401. We maybe should have added something about upgrading in the title. Thanks for the comment.

  • Hi there,

    For a long time I struggled with 401 type Auth errors with my SRS 2005 installation. After many unsuccessful approaches I found the issue in my case was caused a slipstream server installation on Windows Server 2003 with SP2.

    With this type of installation the default authentication providers for IIS websites were turned off.

    To fix this I had to manually enter the provider in the Metabase.xml file located in the \system32\inetsrv folder.

    Here is an example of what I had to do to fix the problem....

    <IIsWebVirtualDirLocation ="/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/ReportServer"


    AppFriendlyName="Report Server"








    DirBrowseFlags="DirBrowseShowDate | DirBrowseShowTime | DirBrowseShowSize | DirBrowseShowExtension | DirBrowseShowLongDate | EnableDefaultDoc"


    Path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer"


    The only piece I had to add was this line: NTAuthenticationProviders="NTLM"

    One additional note: To make this change you must first go into Internet serverices mananger Right click at the highest level (server Icon) in the console and choose properties.

    Place a check in the box to enable direct metabase edit.

    After completeing the process I did an IISreset and voila....weeks of struggling fixed by one little entry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply