Reporting Services Error

• Hello all,

Does anyone have any information about how to resolve the following error?  I am running Reporting Services 2005 on SQL Server Express.   The error message is:

Error rsReportServerDisabled : The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then restart the service.

Thank you in advance.

Kindest Regards,

VL

• Have you moved the RS database from another server? My understanding is that this only occurs when you do this.

See this article... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842425

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • I did not move the database.  Over the weekend, there apparently was a power outage.  After restarting the server, the reports were no longer accessible.  I read the article, but I don't believe that information is applicable to this problem.

Kindest Regards,

VL

• Do you have a backup of the DB and the Key?

If you do then you might try restoring the backup, using the link above.

This error generally occurs when the key stored in the DB gets out of sync. Restoring the DB and reply the key.

I only say all of this because I've  experienced this error several times over the past few months.

Hope this helps, or at least gets you started.

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • Unfortunately, there was no backup available.  Thanks for the information.

Vincent

Kindest Regards,

VL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply