Reporting services

• I am brand spanking new with SQL2005 SE (I'vre read tons but until you use it...). Total fresh install, selecting all options for install. Case-insensitive, sp3 installed. So far so good. Installing EVault on an app server and during the pre-req portion it states reporting services in not installled on the SQL box. I go into the SQL server and select configure report services, point to my app server (where IIS is installed). Tells me access is denied - but at least it's seeing the server. First off, what am I missing? I have an domain admin account logged into the SQL server with rights to the app server. I'm never prompted for anything, no other configurable options, nothing. Seems I should be able to get further and I truly believe I'm simply overly-frustrated and this point (been waiting all day for a call back from Symantec) and should wak away for a while. I have begun the search process for a resolution but figured I'd post as well. I do recall seeing something about report SERVER being available with all versions but SE. I guess that has me confused as well. What good are reporting services if you don't have the server? Sorry for the seeming rant - just a long day. Any thoughts?

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Go to your SQL BOX ,

ALL Programs==>>Microsoft SQL Server 2005==>Configuration tools==> SQL Server Configuration Manager,

make sure the SQL Reporting Service is Up and running.

If that is running, that is good. Then go to your Configuration tools again, and Open the Reporting Services Configuration.

(Not sure How you tried to Point to your app server when you configure the reporting service ) If there is no IIS running on the SQL server, Reporting services will not be able to be installed. If you have reporting services, you should have IIS on the SQL server. SO.. when you start configuring, you would choose the SQL instance name you installed. then... following the wizard, you should be good.

• As far as access for sql 2005 SE is concerned: you can run SSRS on SQl 2005 SE unless its a scale out deployment (from your post i guess its not a scle-out deployment). Did you check app server error logs, it can be error at sql server communicating to w3wp.exe on you app server.

check this link

[/url]

• Sunny, good point about IIS. I hadn't realized IIS was not installed on the SQL server but was on the app server.

Bobby, another good point. I think by hitting the denied access error, I WAS trying to get into a scale-out mode as it was pointing to the IIS on the app server, something I knew we couldn't do with SE but I simply couldn't see the forest for the trees. Sadly, there was nothing in the logs, neither SQL nor event viewer. Like I stated in my original post, I think I just got too worked up as I know it should be a relatively simple task.

Anyway, a new day, a fresh attitude and a couple of pointers - as soon as infrastructure gets in, we'll see if we can't get this thing going. Thanks to you both.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply