Reporting Service Slowwwwwww

• I haven't found RS to be that slow. I have to different installations on different setups and some users are accessing these reports from the UK and the US.  Have you tried to run these reports right from the Reporting Server? I would try and eliminate some of the hops. I would also install RS on another box in the DMZ and test out the same reports. This way you'll know if it's the configuration of the web farm.

Richard.

• how many people do you have running reports at one time... i did have these report running on the same server and it was bringing the server down to its knees... thats why i went with a web farm for reporting... it helped it some but reports still timeout ... thanks for the info i will have to try that out...

Moe C

• We also have performance problems. We found out that rendering reports to PDF is so slow that is almost not usable with larger reports. For example: redering a report to HTML takes 8 seconds, rendering that same report to PDF takes 15 minutes!

Jos

• yup i have found that out too... where are the pro's when we need them..

Moe C

• RS Sucks!

1. Every product from Microsoft has to get to the 7.0 version in order to work as fast as possible

2. I just reprogrammed a report using JasperReports (an open source java report generator) and from 140 seconds it went down to 20! using the same stored procedure which takes 10 seconds doing its processing!

3. There is no way to improve the RS speed. That simple. I have tried everything in the book and outside of it and it doesn't improve.

Best regards,

Mauricio Ramirez

• Hey Mauricio ... thats a cool name, its mine as well but everyone calls me Moe... man there is no way to speed up RS... what troubles have you ran into???

Moe C

• If the performance isn't good enough for your setup then don't use it, theres plenty of alternatives.

Phil Nicholas

• Hi. I have being called Mauro by my close friends and family.

Ok, about RS, all I can tell you is that it doesn't work because timeouts, that ocurres because of its slowness, are common things everyday.

I have a system based on a data warehouse, with customers all over the world using more than 300 reports customized, very well tuned and this RS is driving me and my customers crazy. I'm moving to the JasperReports solution.

Best regards,

Mauricio Ramirez

• Hey thanks Mauricio.... yea i got all my SP tuned and indexes in line... its just reporting services is so sloww in executing and delivering and then to render the report is another nightmare... i don't have as many report as you but i have people all across the US trying to run these reports and they keep timing out... i hope Reporting Services 2005 have solved this performace issue..im am working off Reporting Services 2000 SP 1

Moe C

• i can't get an answer even from here

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=304264&siteid=1 

Moe C

• Is this still a problem with SQL reporting services 2005???

Moe C

• Yes. My example (HTML 8 sec., PDF 15 min.) was done on SQL 2005 on a dual core P4, 3.2 Gh, 4 GB.

Jos

• Can you please tell which folders you excluded from Virus Checking, as I'm having the same kind of issue and just wanted to give it a try the way you did it. May be it work for me

• I just excluded the sql server root directory and subfolders and as mentioned before sourcesafe on checkout, not on checkin. The issue with pdf appears to be a bug with the pdf renderer. Moe etc. Could try printing to pdf using one of the free providers so you have a work around for now. Dont know any programs without bugs..  

these utilities might be useful for monitoring whats going on when the reports rendered

Filemon - a file system activity monitor

Diskmon - a hard disk monitor (NT/Win2K)

PMon - a process and thread monitor (NT/Win2K)

these can also be useful

Regmon - a Registry monitor

TDIMon - a TCP/IP monitor

Portmon - a serial and parallel port monitor

DebugView - a debug output monitor

Phil Nicholas

• hummm thanks i will check some of these out...

Moe C

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply