Reporting Data Loss

• I don't know if any of you ever heard about the minibus taxis in South Africa. Well, the drivers are rather terrible drivers and breaking the traffic laws is common among them as well as them packing up to 18 people in a 13 seater minibus. One day I had to take one of these taxis. Squashed in by all the people in this taxi I took out my wallet to pay. When I replaced it in my pocket it did not go where it was intended. When I got out I did not realise that I was not in the pocket where I thought I had put it. Only when I got to the shop and wanted to pay for something I realised that my wallet must be lying in the taxi still. Well, I immediately wrote off any chance of getting it back and fortunately there was only R 40.00 (about US$ 5.00). Hundreds of people use these taxis everyday and there are also hundreds of these taxis in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Obviously I cancelled my cards and was re-issued with new ones but about a month later when wanting to catch a taxi in the taxi rank I saw some black people talking (in the native language) and showing to me. Eventually one approached me and asked if I am this guy (showing to the photo on my drivers license) and I, wanting to faint for surprise, said yes and he gave me my wallet which I had lost. The money was gone, fortunately not much, but all my cards was intact. I thanked this guy profoundly for finding and keeping my wallet all this time. When I got home I cut all the cards to pieces and threw the wallet in the dustbin because it was very old already.

My mother always said: "Don't keep all your eggs in one basket." so maybe a person should not keep your whole life in your wallet.:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• One good thing to do, and I've done it now, is to make an inventory of my wallet, with bank phone numbers, just in case. We found with my wife that we weren't even sure what was in there.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply