Report Viewer Paging Problem

• Hiya,

I'm using PowerBI on Premise Report Server and Visual Studio 2019.

In development I can create reports that preview fine on separate pages.

When they are promoted to live,  the Report Viewer gets stuck on 0 pages and I cannot navigate them.

ReportsToolbar

After a while (several minutes) the Report Viewer sometimes comes to life and allows me to navigate them.

Any ideas?

This happens in both Chrome and Edge.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • As a guess - I would say that the report is rendering and/or calculating out the number of pages it needs which is why you need to wait.  When the page says "0 of 0", do you have any report data loaded?

When doing it in development, Visual Studio can (and does by default) cache the data source so your previewed data is coming from your local machine rather than the database server.  This is to allow for faster rendering while developing the report which could be why it renders faster locally.  You can delete the cache file and this will force it to re-obtain the data from the database.

Alternately, I would check the SSRS logs (database logs, execution_log3 is a good one to look at) to determine if it is slow rendering or slow data retrieval.

Do you have a lot of calculations in the report side (not the data retrieval side) OR a lot of built-in filters such as to hide specific rows based on report filters?  If so, you can sometimes get a performance boost by moving the filters to the query rather than filtering at the report level.

Do you get the same slowness if you run the report from the server SSRS is installed on?  This will help you determine if the problem is caused by the network connection between the server and your machine.

Does the server hosting SSRS have enough memory?  If SSRS runs into memory pressure, it MAY be paging to disk which is an incredibly slow operation.  SSRS operates outside of SQL Server memory.  Might not hurt to check CPU, disk I/O, and network I/O while checking memory.  It could be that your local machine has more free resources than the server and as such, the report renders and performs better.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply