Report variable and interactive sort

• I would like to display the names of the shared data source in the report header that a particular report points to. I found that if I use the expression DataSources("DataSource1").DataSourceReference it gets me close. Here's the problem.

1. Create a report with data source, DataSource1, pointing to a shared data source called "Test".

2. Create a text box in a report header with the following expression, DataSources("DataSource1").DataSourceReference.

3. Deploy report to report manager and point report to shared data source called "Prod".

4. Execute report. Data source textbox shows "Prod" as expected.

5. Hit a toggle button, interactive sort, etc. to find the Data source textbox now shows "Test".

Now I thought I would try to be clever and create the expression as a report variable. Then have the report header textbox reference the variable. This solves the problem with it showing "Test" when I hit a toggle. However, the problem still exists when I choose any interactive sorting.

Have I misunderstood how report variables work? I'm under the impression that the variable is captured only at the initial runtime. And before anybody asks, I do have the DeferVariableEvaluation property set to False.

Thanks,

JB

• Any thoughts on this? We are still struggling for a solution.

Thanks,

jb

• Hi,

I am not sure what ur looking for exactly ,i hope below url gives basic info on report variables..

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrsteamblog/archive/2008/07/21/group-variables-in-reporting-services-2008.aspx

Thanks

Veeren..

Thanks & Regards,
    Veeren.
    Ignore this if you feel i am Wrong. 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply