Report Snapshot/History/Subscription Management

• We are beginning to experiment with report snapshots/history/subscriptions. I'm hoping a few of you may be able to lend us some advice as to some of the "best practices" with these features of Reporting Services. I'm particularly interested in how an admin may verify successes and failures, be notified of failures, and rerun if a failure ensues.

Also, what are the "gotchas?" What are scenarios where snapshots/history can be best utilized? What are scenarios when it should be avoided?

I really just want to start an intellectual conversation on how the RS user community utilizes the multiple execution and delivery options available with Reporting Services (preferably 2008.)

Please provide some insight as to why you do what you do with your reports.

Kind regards,

jb

• Comments? Anyone... How about a link to what I'm after?

• I feel sorry for you. These areas are very poorly documented with real world examples of usage, even in books dedicated to RS (I know, because I've read them all).

• One thing I learned is that the accessibility to the report run history is embedded in the ReportServer DB tables. I realize this is only a small piece of what you asked for, but the following is a script that will allow you to gain a feel for how often reports are run, who runs them, etc. (It's not mine, but I unfortunately didn't include a credit to the original source....):

--Track ReportServer reports useage.

--The UserName will be the account username, even if the report permissions were granted by group membership.

USE ReportServer;

SELECT

C.[Name] As Report,

c.Path,

EL.[UserName],

EL.[Format],

EL.[TimeStart],

EL.[TimeEnd],

EL.[RowCount],

EL.Parameters,

EL.[Status],

DATEDIFF(ms, TimeStart, TimeEnd) / 1000 As SecondsRan

FROM ExecutionLog EL INNER JOIN

Catalog C ON EL.ReportID = C.ItemID

ORDER BY EL.TimeStart DESC

Hope this gets you started,

Rich

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply