Report Server Project Wizard vs. Report Server Project

• I'm about to start a new SSRS project. I haven't done one in a few years, so I've forgotten some of the basics. I've added the SSRS extension for Visual Studio 2019, as that's the environment I'll be developing in. The report server is on a SQL 2016 instance. When I go to create the project and search for it in VS 2019, I'm presented with two project types:

• Report Server Project Wizard
    • Report Server Project

The Report Server Project is more barebones; however I seem to remember that the last time I did this some years ago, the Report Server Project would be the better choice. Am I correct about that? Or is there some compeling reason to use Report Server Project Wizard?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• With most SQL related things, I try to avoid the wizards.  I find that while they may work, it usually ends up making things in a way I don't want and could have saved a lot of time by avoiding the wizard in the first place.

SSRS reports are in the same bucket with me.  The wizard MAY help with some very basic reports, but I find that even with those I can do it faster without the wizard.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!

• I would say it depends on the type of report you are going to create - if it fits in with a general tabular or matrix type report, then using the wizard to create the outline for the report can be a good starting point.  If you have something completely different - then a blank report might be easier.

The wizard is going to either create a tablix or matrix object based on your selections.  I find this to be a good starting point - that I can then use to extend as needed, changing fonts - sizes - column headers - etc.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply