Report server login issue

• Trying to deploy reports in visual studio 2022, reporting service login is asking for username and password whereas I did not specify any such thing upon installation and configuration of configuration manager. The report server is in native mode.

Please help

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Like most things in the tech-world - authentication is required AND something you would want set up. You don't want just any random person who can access your SSRS server to be able to modify the content, right? What if they decided to delete everything on you? If I remember right (been a while since I did a fresh install of SSRS), during install it asks you who you want to be admin and you can adjust this post install, and I am pretty sure the person doing the install by default is set up as an admin.

So, if you can browse to the SSRS website and get no login prompt, then it is using pass-thru authentication which means that the credentials you use to log into your computer is what your web browser is passing along and that is what you need to use from visual studio.

Now that being said, I never deploy reports from Visual Studio as I've never got it to "play nice". What I mean is whenever I have gone to deploy (note this is in VS2017 and older), it deploys the entire project, not just the one report I was working on. So if my project has 100's of reports, on the SSRS side, it will say I was the one who last modified ALL of the reports in the project.

Now, if you have 1 report per VS project, then deploying it gets a bit nicer as long as you don't care about multiple depth folders (again, a limitation of VS2017 and older... may not apply to 2022) as your report must be at most 1 folder deep in VS, but in SSRS it can be multiple folders deep. That being said, managing your source control repo will be a pain in the butt if you have 100's of reports and 1 VS project per report... My team's preference (and mine too) is to have 1 VS project per business unit for the reports. This may result in some projects with 100's of reports and others with only 2, but it makes managing the projects a lot easier.

So, my approach for releasing reports is to do it from the web interface as it solves all of the above problems - the report goes into the folder I want it to and I am not accidentally updating reports I didn't mean to.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply