Report parameter default values troubles

• We use Visual Studio to develop reports and to deploy them on the developement reporting services server.

Then we use Reporting Services Scripter to "deploy" them in other environments like pre-production and production.

The whole thing works great except for one thing. It seems that even if we change the report parameters default values from within the Report Manager, the original values from the first deployment (from Visual Studio) are kept somewhere and these are the ones that get exported in the rdl file instead of the modified ones.

1) Is this a voluntary behavior?

2) Where are those values stored?

3) How can I make sure that the new values are the ones that get exported?

Thanks

EDITED: We are using Visual Studio 2008 and Reporting Services 2008

• I frequently hard code values into my dataset while testing. If you do that, you might want to check and make sure that you put the parameter back in to the code of your dataset.

One other possibility, report parameters and dataset parameters are not really the same thing and they sometimes get kind of disconnected from each other. Deleting your report parameters and then re-linking them to the dataset might help if this is the case.

• I searched in the rdl file and cannot find any dataset in there. Might be because we always use stored procedures?

Where would I go to re-link the dataset?

• Just out of curiosity, have you compared the .rdl file that you uploaded to your development server both before and after you modified the parameter defaults? For example... You upload a report. Then grab the .rdl using the rsScripter. Then change the parameter defaults. then grab another copy using the RsScripter.

Check the parameters section and see if it's the same. It may be that the scripting tool doesn't check for that type of change and it may be worth passing on to Jasper. Also, just to be clear, are you using SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I did what Luke suggested and indeed, the RS Scripter tool (and the "Modify->Save" function in the "Properties->General" of the Reports Manager) don't seem to care about the changes made to the parameters default values made from within Reports Manager. :crazy:

I will write to Jasper about it and get back to this thread.

EDITED: We are using SQL Server 2008.

• I suspected that perhaps the RS Scripter tool didn't see the changes, because when you check the reportserver database, the parameters and the original RDL file are stored in different columns. Actually I'm not sure where the Original .RDL file is stored as it's encrypted and only accessible with the proper keys, however the parameters are stored as XML in the Catalog Table. When you edit a report from Report Manager it serves up the original .RDL and does not include your changes to parameter defaults.

IT seems like your best bet might be to change the defaults in VS and re-deploy them to dev prior to promoting to QA and Prod... But I'll be interested to see what Jasper has to say about it.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Jas pointed me towards an option of RS Scripter on the Report tab called Server Parameters override report which will preserve the values set on the Report Server and override those in the RDL.

Somehow before, when we tried playing with that option, we failed to notice a change. I can't remember exactly what were the circumstances so I can't redo the tests. But it DOES work now.

So, as Luke suggested, we now change the defaults in Visual Studio, drop the report on the server and then re-deploy it. Then we use RS Scripter with the option to override the parameter reports on the other environments.

Many thanks to all.

• Glad to hear it. I figured there had to be an option in the Scripter somewhere, but I just don't use it that extensively. My change management process requires that what is in Dev is what goes to Test and Prod, even something as simple as changing the default parameters, so I only ever do a straight copy of the RDL from one server to another via the Scripter.

Thanks for getting back to us with your resolution so that it can help others as well.

-Luke.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply