Report Filter: Summary of Detail level

• Hi can anyone tell me how I would go about setting a report prompt that would then display a report with either summary report information (e.g. totals) or detailed report (as as a seperate line - sales number, sale value) based on a report prompt that can be either Summary or Detailed.

(I can setup the prompt fine - but I'm not quite sure how to use the visibility functionality to suit my needs)

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• one way to do it is to use a sub report,

create one summary report and one detail report, and hide the reports based on the parameter value.

Just a tought!

Regards,

• Thats pretty much what I'm trying to do, although I'm not 100% on how to go about it.

If you take a look at the attached screen shot, I have a main report which contains a sub report, showing job steps. I'd like to setup the report with a Summary/Detail prompt which will toggle the job steps list as either collapsed or expanded.

What I'm not sure about, is how to use the expression feature to enable me to define the job steps initial visibility as collapsed or expanded.

If you could give me and example, it would be a great help.:-)

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• Dave,

I think I see what you're trying to do.

Put an expression like this in the Visibilty->Hidden property for the field/row:

= NOT Parameters!ShowDetail.Value

• Cheers.

I managed to find some useful tips on MS SQL Tips (http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1329).

To do it, I had to change my report slightly to have the 'summary' job details at a group level and then put my job steps at the 'detailed' level and the use an expression on the detail row to show the initial visibility, based on a 'ReportType' parameter thats either 'Summary' or 'Detailed'.

Now works like a charm 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply