Report does not display decrypted values.

• Hi all,

I am migrating from Sql Server 2000 to Sql Server 2008 and from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2008 server.

I used to use a a third party .dll for encryption / decryption on Sql Server 2000 which has worked for several years and continues to work; but now I need to use built in encryption / decryption in SqlServer 2008 no problem. I created as set of asymmetric keys and wrote a udf to call from Sprocs as needed. Tested by running a sproc in query Analyzer and it works great.

I have an application that creates a report which includes the column that is encrypted of course it goes through decryption within the stored procedure; but the column returns null values when viewing this report. The report displays values using Sql Server 2000 and Server 2000 with .net 2.0.

However when I run the sproc in test mode from the query Analyzer it returns the values just fine. I use local application user no domain users and it has the proper permissions as far as I can see. It has execute permissions on the sproc that calls the udf and execute permissions on the udf. I can't find any place to assign right to the keys themselves.

Any ideas what I am missing here I have to get this up and running in a couple of weeks and I am stumped. I found nothing by google or through SqlCentral lists.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pamela Reinskou

Pamela Reinskou

• Are you sure the report is referencing the correct column name?

• Can you please post your SQL, changing relevant parts of course...

• are you using the same login that the report uses when you are testing with tsql?

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Thankfully there was a delay in the project caused by another group; but now I am back with the same problem.

The reason the report has null values for that column is because the value for the column is null.

A web application using a sql server local account executes stored procedure to input a record into a table. The code for the insert is

Insert into myTable(receiptId, dtmTrans, transAmount,acctName,transType, acctNumber,acctExpDate, SubscriberId, ActivityId)Values(@ReceiptId, @dtmTrans, @transAmount, @AcctName, @TransType, newFrontier.dbo.PYRFN_EncryptThis512(@AcctNumber), @ExpDate, @SubscriberId,@ActivityCode)

If I run this using query analyzer or whatever it is called in 2008 the column is filled with the encrypted value; but if I call it from the application the column is null. The udf has permssions set to execute for the user. The code for the udf is

Declare @NewString varbinary(512)

Set @NewString = (Select EncryptByAsymKey(AsymKey_ID('mykey512'),@OrigString))

All the other columns are set correctly just this one column is null. No errors are raised, I tried to code it separately just so I could test for an error and none was raised.

Pamela Reinskou

• Seems like a permissions issue on the EncryptByAsymKey but I can't find anywhere where permissions required are mentioned.

Have you run this using the application login?

• Problem solved and yes it was permissions the account used to call the key needs to have control permissions; but there is nowhere to actually add the permissions. If you go back to my original message I eluded to that; but never resolved the problem.

Turns out the only way you can grant permissions to certain objects is to code it (don't get me started)

GRANT CONTROL To ASYMMETRIC KEY :: asymmetric_key

That took care of the problem.

Thanks for the help! Now where is that bottle of Dewar's? :satisfied:

Pamela Reinskou

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply