Report definition has an invalid target namespace

• I'm hoping someone here has encountered this before and was able to fix it.

I've got a client with SQL Server 2014, they also use SSRS and asked me to create a new report to get automatically run every week.

I created the report on my computer using Report Designer but when they tried to import it into their server using the web interface, they got this error:

The definition of this report is not valid or supported by this version of Reporting Services. The report definition may have been created with a later version of Reporting Services, or contain content that is not well-formed or not valid based on Reporting Services schemas. Details: The report definition has an invalid target namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2016/01/reportdefinition' which cannot be upgraded. (rsInvalidReportDefinition)

So, I figured, it's just a simple listing of data so I'll create it on their computer directly. I did that using their Report Builder but when they try to import the report into SSRS, they get the same message.

I have tried following this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36272514/the-report-definition-has-an-invalid-target-namespace-rsinvalidreportdefinition/37548615

but that hasn't helped either.

Any ideas?

• To me that sounds like you are using a newer or older version of report builder than the server expects. I would uninstall report builder from your machine, download it fresh from the SSRS server and try creating the report again from scratch (if possible).

BUT to confirm that before you go to any work on it, is your SSRS instance 2016? If it is, then things SHOULD be working as your report is using the 2016 schema. If it is older (which is what I suspect), then it won't be able to import because SSRS doesn't understand the schema. If it is newer, and too far newer, it may also not like the schema, but if memory serves, SSRS 2022 supports auto-upgrading from the 2016 schema...

BUT the solutions provided in the link you found are vast. Which solutions did you try? There are a lot in there that all appear to have the same net effect - changing the schema to match the SSRS version.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• According to my client, both the server and the report builder they have are 2014. My version of Report Builder is 15.0.20073.0. I'll ask them to verify the version number.

I tried the first solution, modifying the XML and changing the xmlns line and the removing the other sections.

• My client has version 12.0.6179.1

• Yeah, so your report builder is too new for that SSRS. Best bet is to change the project configuration to use an older SSRS, which is answer number 2 in the link you provided:

You can get reports in several different version formats from Visual Studio with the following steps:

In project Property Pages set the TargetServerVersion to the desired format (in this case SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012 or 2014)

Build the project

Find the rdl's in the desired format in the build output folder (specified in project Property Pages also: Build => OutputPath)

Alternately, you can use the first reply to that thread BUT you would need to change the first bit (the report schema) to be for the correct version (2012). My personal preference is to use the same report builder version as the SSRS version to reduce the chance of errors, but the above solution should work too as long as your report builder can downgrade what you built (ie you aren't using any 2014 or newer version specific features).

As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Thanks but unfortunately I am not using Visual Studio, just using their report builder which is version 12.0.6179.1. Their SSRS version is the same number 12.0.6179.1.

The part I don't understand is that the versions match, so why is it not working and why is it putting 2016 in the schema path?

I guess I can go the way of getting Visual Studio and trying to work out how to create a report in there and set the correct target. More work than I was budgeting for 🙁

• Brian, just to let you know, I got it to work! The client had not been uploading the correct version of the rdl. I had manually changed one to 2010 but he was still trying to upload one with 2016.

This is the link I used eventually:

https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/Error-uploading-report-after-editing-in-Report-Builder-The-definition-of-this-report-is-not-valid-or-supported-by-this-version-of-Reporting-Services?language=en_US

Thanks for your time

• Frank Cazabon wrote:

Brian, just to let you know, I got it to work! The client had not been uploading the correct version of the rdl. I had manually changed one to 2010 but he was still trying to upload one with 2016.

This is the link I used eventually:

https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/Error-uploading-report-after-editing-in-Report-Builder-The-definition-of-this-report-is-not-valid-or-supported-by-this-version-of-Reporting-Services?language=en_US

Thanks for your time

HAHAHA... aren't end users fun? I have so many stories similar to that and yet it didn't cross my mind in this scenario.

Glad you got it working 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply