Report definition has an invalid target namespace

• I was moving some SSRS Reports from my 2005 server on to my 2008 server. After copying a solution project to the 2008 box and opening it up in VS2008 (V3.5 SP1) and then trying to deploy it I had receive the error message "The report definition is not valid, The report definition has an invalid target namespace. Looking at the .rdl it appears to have converted from 2005 to 2008 (via wizard). What could be the issue.

• This could be a lot of things causing the problem but the issue is with the resulting XML name spaces in your new reports. If your XML knowledge is good you could:

1) Create a new report in the 2008 VS

2) View the report's code (in VS 2008 right-click the report and select "view code")

3) Note what name spaces are being used

4) Update the XML on your imported reports to match what you saw in step 1.

Sometimes you might just need to re-create the report manually.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• That sounds good but there it's about 200 reports I would have to do that to. It has to be a better way.

• Can you post one of the new RDL files?

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply