Report Columns not summing correctly.

• Hello,

I am using report builder 3 to build a report. The report is based on three tables and two datasets.

The top two tables are designed as follows:
                            YearandMonth  (Group Column)
    No of Clients [Sum(ClientNo)]   
    Placements    [Sum(Placements)]
    Stays              [Sum(Stays)]

YearandMonth  (Group Column)
    No of Clients    [Sum(ClientNo)]    
    Placements    [Sum(Placements)]
    Stays             [Sum(Stays)]

The third Table is my totals table which sums the figures from the top two table columns/rows

My totals are based on an expression

No of Clients    =Sum(Fields!ClientNo.Value,"CityOne") + Sum(Fields!ClientNo.Value,"CityTwo")
    Placements    =Sum(Fields!Placements.Value,"CityOne") + Sum(Fields!Placements.Value,"CityTwo")
    Stays        =Sum(Fields!Stays.Value,"CityOne") + Sum(Fields!Stays.Value,"CityTwo")

When i run the report rather than summing column by column the report seems to be summing row by row and then giving me the same number in each column. Does anyone know where I am going wrong?

• Sounds like the groupings you've set up are wrong. Completely impossible to work this out without any sample data, as well as current and expected results.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Hi
    Thanks for your reply. Please find the sample attached. I attached an excel spreadsheet.
    The top results include data from the three datasets and then my total.

The bottom results are the expected results.

• jman76 - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:49 AM

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. Please find the sample attached. I attached an excel spreadsheet.

Most people won't open files posted by random strangers on the internet.  The correct way to post data is outlined in the first link in my signature.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• jman76 - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:49 AM

Hi

With only the report itself to go by, I have to ask why you need two datasets to create the report.   There's more than enough in common to get all that data into a single query or stored procedure.   If you can post both existing queries or stored procedures for your datasets we should be able to provide you with a single query or stored procedure that can do the job.  That way the normal grouping formulas should work fine, and you should be able to handle this entirely within a single matrix in SSRS.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply