Report builder does not see datasources

• I tried to use the new reporting services reportbuilder, but I can not make it do anything.

The Datasources list gives "There are no items in this list".

If I try the folder it does see the datasources but gives quit correctly an error when I try top open it, as it is no report.

As a work around I tried to open an existing report, but I always get "This report cannot be opened in Report builder", both for the sample reports and some reports for sqlserver 2000 I had.

Does anybody now how I can solve this?

Joachim.

• Reading the BOL has its advantages. Apparently this needs a "Report Model", looks something like a BO universe.   I got it working for adventure works.

Joachim.

• As I understand, a Model is just a Data Source.  When I create a Data Source, I still don't get anything on the list in Report Builder.  What did you do to get AdventureWorks to work?

Matt

• No a model is not a datasource, despite the fact that the Report builder is complaining it does not see databases. It is a model of the database with some of the tables, some attributes and relations of the database, like the Business Objects Universe.

If you only want to play in the Report builder you only need to upload the Adventure Works model. Use the upload button to load Adventure Works.smdl in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Samples\Reporting Services\Model Samples.

To make your own model you need Visual Studio.  Start a Report Model project, make first a Data Source View and then a Report Model.

You can find the details in the Books online, in the tutorial section, under Reporting Services Tutorials, Creating a Report Model.  That worked for me.

Joachim.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply