Replication vs. Mirroring vs. Log Shipping

• This is not exactly a HA question but I placed it in this section of the forum because I thought it fit best here.

I have implemented 2 clustered database servers. I understand clustering and the requirements and applications it best serves.

My question centers around the 3 remaining HA technologies: Replication, Mirroring, and Log Shipping.

I've read extensively about how they work and how to set them up. What I want is a "50,000 foot" view of them.

Can someone direct me to some expert documentation that explains the best application of each technology? What types of user requirements are best solved by each technology? In what application environments would one be preferable to the others?

Thanks,

• Books online should tell you all you need. Have you had a look on google. I seem to remember there was a whitepaper from Microsoft on the HA technologies.

Once you understand how they work you should be able to form your own ideas of how best to use them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Good idea. Lots to read. Thanks, Perry.

I was surprised to read the following:

" Database mirroring -This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. We recommend that you use AlwaysOn Availability Groups instead."

Good to know.

• yes, from SQL Server 2012 mirroring is superseded by AlwaysOn

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply