Replication upgrade from 2005 to 2008

• I want to upgrade from 2005 to 2008, but I do have

one distributor

one publication

four subscriptions

can I upgrade only distributor,pubcication and one subscription from 2005 to 2008 and rest of the subscriber later on

• hi guys,

someone can help me to understand.

can I keep the subscrption on 2005 server and upgrade distributer and publisher to 2008:hehe:

• MAK-1128556 (6/24/2010)

can I keep the subscrption on 2005 server and upgrade distributer and publisher to 2008:hehe:

I think you can.

Below are the two quotes from BOL:

When you replicate between or among different versions of SQL Server, you are usually limited to the functionality of the earliest version used. For example, if you upgrade a Distributor to an instance of SQL Server 2008, but you have a Publisher that is running an instance of SQL Server 2005 and a Subscriber that is running an instance of SQL Server 2000, you are limited to the general functionality and replication functionality of SQL Server 2000.

For transactional replication, a Subscriber to a transactional publication can be any version within two versions of the Publisher version. For example, a SQL Server 2000 Publisher can have SQL Server 2008 Subscribers, and a SQL Server 2008 Publisher can have SQL Server 2000 Subscribers.

• Thanks, do you have any document?:cool:

• No. I don't have document (PDF/DOC files). I just referred SQL Server 2008 Books Online.

You can download SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide from Microsoft site.

• It ought to work, the only huddle i came across is when i tried to set up a subscriber running SQL 2008 Express with a publication running SQL 2005 Standard edition.

This did not function the error was something like SQL server cannot create a subscription to an earlier version

• but, can I create publication on 2008 and subscription on 2005:-)

• hi, how upgrade work. can I

upgrade publisher from 2005 to 2008 first

or first I have to upgrade distributor/subscriber from 2005 to 2008

• Yes it is possible to create publications on sql 2008 and create subscriptions to it from sql 2005 the only thing you cant do is to create subscriptions from sql 2008 to sql 2005 publications.

The subscriber has to be the same version as the publisher or a lesser version

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply