Replication set up over a firewall

• Ours is a little complicated replication scenario.

existing scene :server A the production server replicates(pull transactional) to server B which is a report server within the same domain. A and B both are sql 7.0 sp2. Server B runs the distbn jobs,

future scene: above will continue. To web enable the database we want to add a new server C to be also replicating (transactional) from server A. This will be a win2k cluster and a sql 2k active/passive cluster. We want the virtual server(server C) and subscribing nodes to be on same side of the firewall. There will be no trusts between either side of firewall. C side architecture will be sql 2k sp1. A and B will be in Domain 1 and C will be in Domain 2. Dom 1 and Dom 2 are to be separated by firewall with no trusts

Request help on the following Questions

1) Can we make server B to be a new distribution server(create distribution DB on server B, make a new publication on server A, make new push subscription to be on server B to C), server A has to be the publishing server and server C the virtual server will be the subscribing server ? This assumes that existing replication continues with the new model.

2) Existing scene uses a distribution DB on server A and distbn job on server B. New model will use new distribution DB on server B and distbn job on server B since it is a push. Can publishing server A use distribution db of server A for existing publication and for new publication use the new distribution DB on server B.

3) Since no trusts are involved between Domain 1 and Domain 2 we intend to use multiprotocol for the repl related communication between the subscriber and the distributor. Will this work after opening ports on server B and Server C ?

thanks in advance

pshah

Edited by - pits34 on 09/07/2001 04:28:03 AM

Edited by - pits34 on 09/07/2001 04:29:54 AM

• Hi Pits,

Im not sure I follow you entirely, but here are some thoughts in general. One, you can replicate across domains without having a trust - you would have to allow access through your firewall of course. Im not sure why you would want to have the dist db set up you describe, wouldn't it be easier to have it one or the other?

What might help me here (and others I think) would be a simple diagram showing exactly where everything would go. Could you do a quick one in Visio or Paint, then post the link or send the doc to me and I will post here on the site along with a link here in the topic?

Andy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply