Replication Issue - Compressed Snapshot

• We have an 83GB database that we replicate over a 10Mbit WAN connection using Transaction Replication. This is okay until it comes to having to re-initialise a publication. We have started breaking up the Publications to contain fewer Articles, so increasing the number of Publications.

I have just been experimenting with Compressed Snapshots. It successfully creates the cabinet file but when it comes to copying it to the remote server we get the following error: Error message: Could not find the cabinet file 'snapshot.cab' in folder E:\Compressed Snapshot Files\unc

I have scanned the internet looking for a solution but have come up with Zilch. I've seen a few posts related to this issue but no solutions.

I am guessing a UNC path might help rather than a local path, other than that I have no idea what the issue is. Both servers share the same AD account, so it's not permissions.

• Hi,

Try to manually copy the snapshot folder to Subscriber , this may help:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/repltalk/2010/03/07/tips-to-improve-performance-when-applying-snapshot-in-transactional-replication/

Cheers,

Robert

• r.dragoi-1095738 (4/18/2016)

Hi,

Try to manually copy the snapshot folder to Subscriber , this may help:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/repltalk/2010/03/07/tips-to-improve-performance-when-applying-snapshot-in-transactional-replication/

Cheers,

Robert

Thanks for the link. I read the article but it warns that this would result in traffic back to the distribution database and then on to the subscriber. Distribution is on the same server as the publisher in our case. The article does go on to say though that you can configure distribution at the subscriber though to get around this problem although it's not clear if this is temporary or permanent. When I get more time I will follow up on this.

I am convinced that I neglected to set the Alternate Snapshot Path up as a UNC path. I have to wait for a Snapshot for another another to be delivered before I can try it again. In my rush on Friday to get it running again I set everything back to default so I can't check if I made a mistake. Time will tell.

• It seems I must have set a local path and not a UNC path. Just tried it again and it worked. (A Friday Afternoon Special).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply