Replication from SQL2000 to SQL2005

• Hi,

I'm trying to set up merge replication between our SQL servers. The publisher/distributor is on SQL2000 Standard Edition, the subscriber is SQL2005 Standard x64 Edition, and I'm trying to push the publication from 2000 to 2005. We have no problems setting up replication between our main SQL2000 to a remote SQL2000 using Enterprise Manager, but when we try to set up replication using SQL Server Management Studio Express, we are getting:

For merge publications, the version of the Subscriber must not exceed the version of the Publisher.

I've read from somewhere that merge replication can be done from 2000 to 2005, but the document I read did not say what method it used. Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks

Ken

• Your scenario isn't supported by Microsoft. (see BOL excerpt)

SQL Server Versions Supported

Microsoft SQL Server version 7.0 service pack 4 (SP4) is the minimum version required to participate in a replication topology with SQL Server 2005. If you use SQL Server 2000, service pack 3 (SP3) is required. If you have more than one version of SQL Server in a replication topology:

• A Distributor can be any version as long as it is greater than or equal to the Publisher version (in many cases the Distributor is the same instance as the Publisher).
    • A Publisher can be any version as long as it less than or equal to the Distributor version.
    • Subscriber version depends on the type of publication:

• A read-only Subscriber to a transactional publication can be any version within two versions of the Publisher version. For example: a SQL Server version 7.0 Publisher can have SQL Server 2005 Subscribers; and a SQL Server 2005 Publisher can have SQL Server version 7.0 Subscribers.
      • An updatable Subscriber to a SQL Server 2005 transactional publication can be any version equal to or greater than Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP3.
      • A Subscriber to a merge publication can be any version less than or equal to the Publisher version.

When you replicate between different versions of SQL Server, you are often limited to the functionality of the earliest version used. For example, if you upgrade a Distributor to an instance of SQL Server 2005, but you have a Publisher running an instance of SQL Server 2000, and a Subscriber running an instance of SQL Server version 7.0, you are limited to the general functionality and replication functionality of SQL Server version 7.0.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply