Replication, CDC/SSIS, or Service Broker?

• So I'm looking for a suggestion on a particular technology to use.

We've got a database sitting on a server in the US. The database is part of an availability group with 4 nodes.

We need to selectively replicate rows from this database that change to another database in a different availability group in a different data center in Canada.

From what I've been told connectivity between the two locations can be sporadic, so whatever technology we ultimately decide upon should be tolerate of disconnections.

I've suggested replication, but there was concerns about filtering the data (we only want to publish some of the data in each table, essentially company created content vs customer created content), there's also concern about identity columns (which is handled by assigned identity ranges to each node).

Somebody else is trying to use CDC to pick up all the changes and make them in a way that maintains RI, this seems very cumbersome to me.

The third choice is using Service Broker to send data as it changes in some form.

I'm still a fan of transactional or snapshot replication vs either of the other two, but if anybody has any other suggestions or reasons why using CDC coupled with SSIS or using Service Broker could be better, Id love to hear them.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• I know that under transactional replication, you can filter rows, and/or columns from each article. I suspect this can be done with Merge replication as well, but I have never tested this.

Are you accepting updates to these articles from Canada, or is it strictly a one way replication?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply