Replication between disconnected sites

• Hi,

I have the following situation:

Server A is connected to the www,

server B is inside a private network which is never connected to the web (or to anything which is connected to server A)

the application on both servers is(almost) identical, and changes to the data can be made on BOTH servers, though Server B should contain both data from server A AND local data (updates to records on server A can be done ONLY on server A, and vice versa).

now, as I said, the servers are never connected, so I can't use any network at all for synchronization, how should I design the replication?

thanks in advance,

Lior

• We wrote a solution similar to this for an International NGO about two years ago. Basically, we could not use anything like Replication or DTS, as all of the sites are permanently disconnected.

We designed a data ownership system into the db, and wrote a special application that handles exporting of data from the DB to an XML package, and importing of the data at other sites. Works fine so far.

Personally I can't see any other way of doing this.

Regards,

Morpheus

"See how deep the rabbit hole goes..."

• I agree, if there is no connectivity you have to work a lot harder. Depending on the enviroment, sometimes you can get everyone to agree to set up a VPN connection in so that you have the tunnel for security, decent connection.

• Thanks for the replies,

we are now creating the solution to replicate the data ourselves,

as there is no possible way to convince the customer to set up a VPN.

thanks a lot for showing me the way,

Lior

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply