Replication and non-default port problem

• Hello everybody

For last couple of days I’m trying to configure replication between SQL 2005 and SQL 2000\2005 servers. I already have working replication based on MS SQL 2000 server, and plan is to upgrade this environment on 2005, step by step – this mean to first upgrade Publisher on 2005 and then one by one subscriber. When I was testing it on test environment, I got a (big?) problem – After configure 2005 as publisher and distributor when I try to add subscriber, all is working fine when subscriber is a default instance, or at lest, only one – means it work on default port (1433). But when try to add subscriber which work on non-default port (any one), first I can not to connect on it (I work with wizard for add a new subscriber) if don’t put port number, but if I set it like “ServerName\InstanceName, port” - I got an error:

SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not support. Specify the actual server name, ‘ServerName\InstanceName’. (Replication.Utilities)

Searching on various forums, I find a suggestion to make alias (even error message explicit said – no alias or port), and after that I could finish with wizard – which even create me a new database, if I said it (or use existing – so it make connection), but after when I run job for replication – I have an error again – said it can not make connection:

Job step (run agent) failed because unsuccessful connection:

Login timeout expired

Message: The merge process failed to execute a query because the query timed out. If this failure continues, increase the query timeout for the process. When troubleshooting, restart the synchronization with verbose history logging and specify an output file to which to write.

Is it possible to make replication on non-default port or with IP address as subscriber, it seems not?!

I find this or very similar problems on many places over net, forums etc, but can’t find working solution…:sick:

• have you tried to use servername\instancename and no port number?

i have a publisher that is a named instance and that is how i connect to it even though it's on port 1434

• I try, of course.

When I try to make subscription, if set only servername\instancename, wizard can not to connect to this instance, but when put servername\instancename, port - it send me a error I wrote:

"SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not support. Specify the actual server name, ‘ServerName\InstanceName’. (Replication.Utilities)"

after, if I make alias, I can finish with wizard (and initialization), but job for replication don't work (in job history i can see that problem was with connection time out)

:angry:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply