Replication

• Hello, I am in the process of moving our production environment to a new set of servers and have a serious problem. But before I begin let me give the details of the environment and assign some names and define the roles.

Server A (publisher) - single publication, 2 subscribers (1 local and the other 1000 miles)

Server B (Pull subscriber A) (local)

SEVER C (Pull subscriber B) (remote)

The database is 380 GB and can not be off-line except for maintenance between (110PM-5AM). There currently isn't a way to do a Full backup even with Litespeed and get it shipped to the remote system.

I have read about No_Sync initialization, but it isn't clear how I can do it without impacting the local subscriber.

The DBA prior to me (who just left and isn't available for consultation) use to recover from WAN timeouts by setting up a second distribution job, leaving it disabled, then getting a new backup from the publisher overnight, restoring, and then turning the Pull job back on.

Anyone out there able to guide me through this?

Thanks

• Here's the basic idea. You can get a backup to work, unless you are saying that you can't get a log backup made, copied, and restore in your window.

what you need to do is do a full backup before your window, ship that over, and restore it (norecovery). Then possibly do the same with a diff close to your window. At that time in terms of moving the main database, a series of log backups ought to get you very close to being in sync.

However I'm not clear what's existing and what's new? Which databases are moving from which instances/servers to which.

• I'm sorry for the confusion. Let me try again.

The DB is almost 400GB and changes about 5GB per day

Current Prod (publisher)(single publication)

Same location Pull Subscriber

And Remote Pull Subscriber

All 3 three are being deployed in their respective locations on new hardware and the older machines will be retired/turned off.

I don't have a problem getting a new backup to the new publisher and the same location subscriber. However the pipe is too small to copy or FTP even a 1GB log file. So I have to rely on Fed-X to deliver backups taken the day before. And since the period the backups were made the publisher has been getting data changes and replicating those to the same location subscriber.

So , I need to have the publisher up and running and the some location subscriber, then 1-2 days later restore to the remote subscriber a backup taken from the remote publisher and create the second subscription.

Basically, server A and server B are in NY, and server C is FL. A is the publisher and B is a subscriber. C (also a subscriber) gets on restored on Tuesday from taken a backup from A on Monday.; C needs to be sync'ed to match both A and B.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply