Replicating a Table without a PrimaryKey

• Is there a way to replicate a table without a PrimaryKey column? A program we use has setup a Index PrimaryKey on a table field but that fields column property has the PrimaryKey value as FALSE. I don't want to change a programs database design so I need to find another way of replicating the data in that table.

I'm using transactional replication.

• Snapshot replication doesn't need PK.

• Thanks, I tried that and it works.

The problem is the datasets can get really large and the data is going to be coming from remote offices. That could take a lot of time to move and not to mention a bandwidth hit.

It seems that none of the tables have a PK on them. I think Ill give Log shipping a try to see if that will work. If not Ill contact the software vendor to see what problems can happen by adding PK's to the DB.

• I am also having problems with this issue. The problem with us is the databases were auto created by our sharepoint system and many of the tables created do not have primary keys. We do not want to mess with creating primary keys for these tables. Does anyone know how to create replication without primary keys?

• Markus mentioned above that using a SnapShot replication doesnt need PK. I have tried this and it does work but its going to send the whole DB every time.

• We looked into snapshots, but the problem is the database would grow too big to fast to be an effective solution, and the database is nonupdateable during the snapshot times. This is also unacceptable to us due to our enviornment and production schedule. Snapshots would need to be taken quite a few times during the day, if not every hour. I was hoping there was a workaround or scripting option that would allow us to bring over all the tables, even the ones without keys.

We are hoping to do the inital snapshot and then bring over only the changed data as the transaction method is designed to perform.  If it cannot be done we will have to find other solutions for our recovery system. Thanks for your help.

• Second thought about DTS & Service Broker.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply