Replicating a Database Overseas

• :w00t: We are studying the option of replicating a database from our US data center to a new data center in Europe. What will I need to accomplish this task successfully?

Bandwidth, etc, etc. All your suggestions are very welcome. Thank you :w00t: :hehe:

• Theoretically its possible and it all depends on how big your DB is. You need to have a pretty stable network connection. Preferably on a VPN. It all depends on the latency between US data center and Europe. If it is way too high, your snap shot can take lots and lots of time.

-Roy

• There have been scenarios already proven using SQL 2008. The initial snapshot is the toughest part but other than that it works fine using all the tcpip tricks possible in Windows 2008.

* Noel

• :w00t: Thanks. What about latency? Any recommendations? Dirty reads better? What about writing? :hehe:

• Dirty reads? Are you trying to use SQL replication?

And about latency, We have no control over it. It depends on how many Hops it has to do to reach the destination. The more the hops, the more the latency. Anything above 200 ms is trouble. And if the DB is large, Snapshot is going to be a Pain even if the latency is Just 100ms

-Roy

• You indicate you want to use replication, but you have not said what kind of replication and what you need the replicated database for.

Will changes be made to the database at the second site, or can the second site have a read-only or standby database? How often do you need to send updates? How much bandwidth do you have?

It will make a big difference if this is a standby site rather than one in which data will also be changed. You also need to specify if the application(s) using this database can be modified to support any necessary schema changes (adding GUID's and timestamps, for example).

• HERE are the juicy details.

Enjoy!

* Noel

• By the way they already confirmed that the fastest way to initialize was initialize with "backup".

* Noel

• The fastest way to initialize is back Up. I agree. But just think about a 200 + Gig Back up file. It will be fun to FTP that file over. 😀

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/2/2009)

The fastest way to initialize is back Up. I agree. But just think about a 200 + Gig Back up file. It will be fun to FTP that file over. 😀

I have been able to compress 200+GB into 40GB and then FTP is not that bad ... 😉

* Noel

• Yep.... It is not that bad epending on your latency..:-) If the latency is high, then it will be easy to fly over with the disk to Europe and FTPing it....:D

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/2/2009)

Yep.... It is not that bad epending on your latency..:-) If the latency is high, then it will be easy to fly over with the disk to Europe and FTPing it....:D

I agree 😀

* Noel

• :w00t: Thanks, the article in MIcrosoft was very enlightening!!! By the way, I will use backup as well. We use SQL Backup from Red-Gate for all our backups and the compression is very much to 1/4 of the regular SQL native backups, so we are OK there.

At this point certifiable is the best way to start. All details will come with business requirements and for that, I will sit with the business, developers, DBA at both ends and get a test environment before we commit to deliver something that might not be viable for the business, even if it is for the DBA team. At this point in time, data movement is a priority but not to the degradation of the performance and the slowness of the data delivered. We are in just the first conversations of what would it take.

That is why certifiable is the best way to start. Thank you all, though :hehe:

• Fernando (2/2/2009)

:w00t: Thanks, the article in MIcrosoft was very enlightening!!! By the way, I will use backup as well. We use SQL Backup from Red-Gate for all our backups and the compression is very much to 1/4 of the regular SQL native backups, so we are OK there.

At this point certifiable is the best way to start. All details will come with business requirements and for that, I will sit with the business, developers, DBA at both ends and get a test environment before we commit to deliver something that might not be viable for the business, even if it is for the DBA team. At this point in time, data movement is a priority but not to the degradation of the performance and the slowness of the data delivered. We are in just the first conversations of what would it take.

That is why certifiable is the best way to start. Thank you all, though :hehe:

Good Luck!

* Noel

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply