replicate my database on the same machine

• marchello

Old Hand

Hi all,

I worked with many databases like Oracle, MySql, Postgres...

And SQL Server as well, long time no see.

Basically, I would need my testdb database to be replicated into testdb_read database on the same machine. Any example for my case, please?

Found this link, but example below is not clear

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-stored-procedures/sp-addsubscription-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017

What are correct values to substitute placeholders in my case?

This time I'm under linux and using Azure Data Studio, so no UI like SSMS available.

Please advise.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  marchello.
  • andreas.kreuzberg

SSCertifiable

Hi,

if you like powershell, take a look at this page:

https://docs.dbatools.io/#Copy-DbaDatabase

Your are able to copy a single database to a new one, with one simple script.

Or do you need real time replication?

Kind regards,

Andreas

• ChrisM@Work

SSC Guru

It depends on what you want to do with the copy, how "fresh" you need it, and what downtime is acceptable to you for refresh. Can you provide a few more details about the usage of this database copy? The stored procedure you linked is a part of Replication. You might also want to look into Snapshots.

[font="Arial"]“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw[/font]

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article[/url].
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]
    [url

• marchello

Old Hand

The copy database should be as much real-time as possible.

This is assignment for learning purpose.

Looking into transactional replication.

First of all, I found out that replication distributor is not available on linux version of sql server, so I'm installing it on windows for now and will continue there...

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  marchello.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply