Replay SQL Server 2000 tracve on SQL Server 2005

• I found a document on how to do this a few months ago, but I can't find it now.

I want to be able to run a profiler trace on SQL Server 2000 and take that trace and play it back on SQL Server 2005. From what I remember, you have to use a specific trace template in order to accomplish this.

I've googled everything I can think of, and searched BOL as well.

I can't any documentation on how to do this. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks,

Chris

• Did you use Profiler 2000 or 2005? In Profiler 2005 you need to use the TSQL_Replay trace template at a minumum in order to replay a trace.

Another thing to be aware of, at least in Profiler 2005, is that Profiler uses the database id to determine what database to replay the trace in, so if the database id is different then you won't get the replay in the database you want. I have not found a work around for this, although I haven't looked that hard yet.

• I want to connect to a SQL Server 2000 instance and run a trace toa file. I then want to copy that file to a SQL Server 2005 instance and replay it.

I wasn;t aware of the DatabaseID issue. I really wish I could find that document I was looking at a while ago that detailed the process. You wouldn't think it would be so har to find after a couple of months...

• You can run the trace using Profiler 2005 and the TSQL_Replay template and you should be fine.

Check out this for an interesting answer to the DB problem:

http://www.sqlnewsgroups.net/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.server/topic6085.aspx

According to the documentation I have read this shouldn't have worked, but apparently it did. I will be giving it a try.

• Unfortunately, the SQL Server 2000 machine is accross a slow WAN connection, so I need to perform the trace locally there and then copy the file back here and replay it on the SQL 2005 machine.

Believe me, i've tried to come up with a better way. I know that there is a speciic article on how to set up a SQL Server 2000 trace to be replayed on SQL Server 2005, I just can't find it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply