Replacing SAN on SQL 2000 Cluster

• We are upgrading our SAN to a newer model and will have to migrate our existing SQL 2000 cluster. Does anyone know what steps I need to take in order to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Ethan

• You should be able to detach the databases copy them over to the new san and attach them to your new cluster. I've done several non cluster to cluster moves and that has always worked for me.

Wes

• I should have given you more information. Sorry.

The SQL cluster we have currently resides on the SAN that will be replaced. The company I work for has done this a couple of times in the past and has always had problems with moving an active/passive sql 2000 cluster from one SAN to another. The problem is, so they have told me, is that the quorum drive stores a disk signature when cluster services initially installs, so when new disks are connected under a different disk signature and they try to restart the cluster it fails.

What I am looking for is a way to safely move the sql server configuration and data from one set of SAN shared drives to another.

Unless I can come up with a better solution I will have to do a re-install and restore, and I really don't want to do that because this is supposed to be a 7x24 system.

Ethan

• Ethan -

Since you didn't indicate what SAN you are using I have included the EMC related command. I believe that you should have similiar commands in other SAN environments... With an EMC Symmetrix you can save the disk signatures using:

symntctl-signature [-save|-restore]

(there are some other command options but I'm wasn't planning on providing full command syntax).

I hope this at least puts you on the right path in your search -

Eric

• If you are having problems with the disk signature getting out of sync, try using the following command line:

dumpcfg -s 865dda44 8

the dumpcfg part you should be able to download from microsoft. it is a component that will allow you to update the disk signature with the cluster hive. the third parameter is the disk signature you have in your cluster log. this will show up when you try to start up one node or fail over to another. the fourth parameter is the actual disk ID. You have to match the correct disk to the correct signature, but beyond that it is pretty straight forward. All of the data will be in the cluster log. The above sample is what I used when I had a similar problem.

• How did you plan on moving the data? You would ether have to restore from backup or have the ability to copy the data to the new SAN. If it is the latter, I would still do the detach and copy re-installing the sql cluster on the new SAN. I have never attempted to backup and restore the quorum drive when moving the cluster to a new device.

Wes

• Thanks for the responses.

In answer to your questions, we are going from an older EMC Clarion to the new CX600, so hopefully, we can use the commands you have given to save the disk signatures and restore them when we make the move.

Also, I do plan on copying the data via the SAN so I probably will take your advice and use the detach/reattach method for the transfer.

So, just to layout what I plan to do. 1) Backup all system dbs 2) Unattach all of the user databases. 3) Uninstall sql server on old SAN Drives. 4) Transfer all data files and system db backup files to new SAN drives. 5) Re-install SQL Server to the new SAN drives 6) Restore master db 7) Restore msdb db. 8) reattach user db's.

Does this sound viable to you?

Ethan

• Are you going to use same virtual name for your new SQL Server?

If you can setup SQL Server and configure disk resources same as the old SAN, I rather copy master, msdb and all user database files (MDF and LDF) back to same location instead of restore them.

• Yes I will be using the same Virtual name.

Are you saying that after I reinstall sql server on the new SAN drives I can just copy the system & user database files (MDF & LDF) over the top of the newly installed ones as long as they are in the same path locations?

Ethan

• Yes, It should work.

• This may not be applicable, but we have done disk migrations by using Veritas Volume Manager. Within Volume Manager you have the ability to create a mirror of the disk, replace disk signatures, etc. All while the drives are online. We have used this to migrate 1TB of data with no user impact.

• Does Veritas Volume Manager come with Veritas clustering or is it a separate product?

Ethan

• last time I checked it was seperate.

Wes

• Vaeritas Licensting Sucks ass. I wouldnt be surprised if it didnt

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply