Replacing emptry fields with a value in select

• Hi,

I have a select statment with a group by clause.

eg : select gender, count(*) from ulist where status=1 group by gender

There are lots of enteries in the database which dont have a gender associated with them. So as the result of the query it shows a empty field for all the records with no gender specified and then shows count for male and female respectively.

Male 75

Female 63

I want to replace the null or empty field with a value like 'none' so that it shows

None 64

Male 75

Female 63

I tried using replace command in the select query for the gender field but no use.

Can you please suggest how can i change the empty fields returned by the select query?

Thanks and regards

Hitendra

• Try :

Select IsNull(gender,'None'), count(*) from ulist where status=1 group by gender

• No I tried that earlier but it doesn't work. It still gives a empty field instead of showing 'None'

• Is your gender field empty or null?

By the sounds of other posts, it empty rather than null and so you should use a case statement:

select case

when gender <> '' then gender

else 'None'

end as gender

from ulist .....

IsNull only works on null fields.

Jeremy

• Thanks, this was simply a perfect solution. I never knew we can use a case statement within select.

Hey i would like to know more about such functions that can be induced in the select query this will decrease a lot of programming.

Where can i get a resource for such functions usable with select query?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply