Replacing data in metadata column

• I need to update/replace category data in the metadata column. When I run my query the category isn't updating with the replacement data. Below is the query I've written, What am I doing wrong? I need to replace Category= with  Category=Vesting Deed

BEGIN TRANSACTION

SELECT F.*

, WalMart_ChainOfTitle.*

FROM WalMart_ChainOfTitle

RIGHT OUTER JOIN dbo.tbl_File AS F ON F.ProcessCollectionId = WalMart_ChainOfTitle.ProcessCollectionId

WHERE F.Deleted = 0

AND WalMart_ChainOfTitle.ProjectId = 1001

AND WalMart_ChainOfTitle.CurrentVesting = 1

AND F.MetaData NOT LIKE '%Category=Vesting Deed%'

BEGIN TRANSACTION

UPDATE dbo.tbl_File

SET dbo.tbl_File.MetaData = ((REPLACE(cast(MetaData AS varchar(max)), 'Category=', 'Category=Vesting Deed')

FROM WalMart_ChainOfTitle

RIGHT OUTER JOIN dbo.tbl_File AS F ON F.ProcessCollectionId = WalMart_ChainOfTitle.ProcessCollectionId

WHERE F.Deleted = 0

AND WalMart_ChainOfTitle.ProjectId = 1001

AND WalMart_ChainOfTitle.CurrentVesting = 1

AND F.MetaData NOT LIKE '%Category=Vesting Deed%'

• What is the datatype/size of tbl_File.MetaData? (wondering why are you casting the type in the replace statement)?

Do you have MetaData column values that contain "Category=" that do not have a value after the equal sign?

Do you have MetaData column values that contain "Category=" with a value after the equal sign? If so, you will effectively be concatenating the values. I doubt if that is your intention.

e.g.,

DECLARE @Metadata VARCHAR(MAX) = 'ID=1,Category=Furniture'
    SELECT @Metadata, REPLACE(@Metadata,'Category=','Category=Vesting Deed')
    WHERE @Metadata NOT LIKE '%Category=Vesting Deed%'

results in "ID=1,Category=Vesting DeedFurniture"

If Category values may be populated, and you don't want that concatenated with "Vesting Deed", you should probably provide some sample data.

• Are there multiple keys (keys other than Category, or multiple instances of Category? If so,

• Are the keys in the same order? Or could they occur in any order?
      • How are the key/value pairs delimited? Commas? semicolons? Other?

(If they are in a guaranteed order, and delimiting is consistent, it may be easier to isolate the Category key/value pair and avoid the concatenation bug)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply