Replace Primary Server keeping same Log Shipping Server

• I have a two node SQL Standard 2014 Failover Cluster at the primary site.  It does Log Shipping over WAN to our DR site.  There are 230 User DBs totaling 11 TB.

One of the two nodes at the Primary Site is having issues.  At some point several weeks  ago, something happened with a Windows Update and it will now not failover to the second node. Repairs/backing out Updates/force has not worked.  This question is not about fixing the server, I'm planning on killing it.  Will build a new two node Failover Cluster rather than try to fix the old one.  Everything is Virtual on Server 2019 Datacenter.

All User and System data is on a MS Storage Spaces Direct CSV with File Shares.  So none of the large stuff needs to move.

I plan to script out the Detach/Attach for the user databases.  Same for Logins/Users.  No real big deal there.  What I don't know how to do is preserve the status of the Log Shipping.  Ideally, I would stop the Log Shipping jobs, let everything flow through, script out the appropriate stuff, and import it to the new server.

Where is a good reference for moving Log Shipping from one primary to another?  How do I stop on one server, pick up on another and resume with no loss of the DR copies?  I don't think the Failover Cluster is part of this question, it seems that the answer would be the same for a standalone SQL instance.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply