Rendering Speed????

• I installed the evaluation of Reporting Services. I would like to replace our current reporting package (IQ if any of you have been around long enough to remember).

However, my first report, which was very simple directly from a single table, with a single parameter, takes minutes to render. I cannot afford to have users wait minutes for simple reports.

Is there somewhere I can see the query that it is using? With IQ, I can check the query and make sure I have the right indexes.

I don't know how to tell whether it is my report or Reporting Services in general.

Any experience with using this in a production environment would be appreciated.

Also, what about training? Does anyone know of training in Chicago?

Thanks, Barb

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi Barab,

We had some problems with running RS on the same physical box as the database providing the data for the report. It seems that (a) there were issues with locking system tables (doing an sp_who2 showed blocked processes) though I haven't found anyone else with this problem & have not investigated it further because we split out the source db to another server, (b) simply running RS and SQL Server as a data provider chewed up a lot of resource.

If you have the luxury of putting the data providing db on another box you can optimise this for data processing, leaving the RS box to do its own thing.

Good luck!

• Hi Barab,

I have installed RS in various configurations as I had various other services and applications that break each other when installed, even with everything on the same server I didn't have a problem. I would look at your System Monitor to see what is taking up all the resources (if something is) and also run a sql trace to see what is happening to the SQL server while all this is going on.

Col.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply