Renaming a sql 2005 server

• We have a sql 2005 server with two instances (each listens on different ports). If I rename the server itself will there be any "undesirable" impact on either instance?

TIA,

barkingdog

• i think you are taking about renaming machine name.

You can do that but then you have to run below on both instances

1. sp_dropserver '

2. sp_addserver ' , 'local'

for example my current machine name is SQL2K5 and i would like to name as SQL2005

below are the steps

1. Rename the machine

2. sp_dropserver 'SQL2K5\INSTANCE1'

3. sp_addserver ''SQL2005\INSTANCE1', 'local'

4. Restart SQL Service

• Thanks for the great info. I was familiar with those t-sql command but can you offer a hint why I need to use them after renaming the physical server? (Are the old names somehow linked to the renamed server?)

TIA,

Barkingdog

• We recently changed the machine names on three of our development servers. We only run one instance of SQL Server on each and the only issues I had were:

- the connection strings developers were using to connect to development databases (solved by updating the machine names in their local property files)

- the connection information in SSMS (solved by removing registered servers and adding registrations under new names)

- linked servers from an existing SQL Server instance to one of the renamed servers no longer worked (solved by removing the old and creating a new linked server)

It's a good opportunity to root out any existing connections by IP, also. If something didn't break, but should have, you're likely to find it's connecting via IP.

Hope this helps...

Will

But boss, why must the urgent always take precedence over the important?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply