Rename SQL Server Instance?

• Brian Knight posted an article recently on how to rename a sql server for both version 7 and 2000: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/renameserver.asp

I have a machine at work that has an instance of sql server named after the former developer, namely machinename\rrodriguez

Does anyone know if the instance of SQL Server can be renamed, maybe to \netSDK or anything else? or is this a situation where you delete the instance and create a new one?

This is the first time I've tripped over this.

Thanks!

Lowell

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Unfortunately you can't. You have to reinstall.

• Thanks Allen That's good to know; maybe Brian Knight could update his article to mention something about how it is not possible to rename SQL server Instances;

It would make the article more robust.

Lowell

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• BOL says you can:

sp_dropserver 'old_servername\instancename'

GO

sp_addserver 'new_servername\instancename',local

GO

Perhaps you should try it before re-installing. I was going to try it myself but I don't have permissions to rename boxes on our network. Still, if your going to reinstall any, it would be a good test.

-Rob

• Lowell and Allen, The article by Brian and the Book online applies to the renaming a server as renaming the default nstance. Named instances always need to be dropped and recreated. However, you can always have your databases attached to a new instance easily.

-Sravan

• quote:

I have a machine at work that has an instance of sql server named after the former developer, namely machinename\rrodriguez

Lowell asked whether it is possible to rename a named instance and the answer is impossible unless reinstall it.

• So, detach your databases.

Move them to another folder.

Uninstall the instance.

Move the database files back to their proper location.

Attach them.

Should work.

-SQLBill

• quote:

So, detach your databases.

Uninstall the instance.

Attach them.

Should work.

Okay, I left out a step:

Uninstall the instance.

Reinstall the instance with new name

THEN it should work.

-SQLBill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply