Rename server after renaming host

• Hello,

I know this seems like a basic question and a lot has been written on this, but I am new to some of the SQL-Server stuff.

We made a virtual clone of our SQL server - not connected to the network. Renamed the Host from MSC11SRV01095 to SSSTest.
    When we connected the server to the network the production users have been disrupted (as I expected).

I  followed this article to make the necessary changes:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/mssqlfun/2014/07/29/rename-or-change-sql-server-standalone-named-instance/
    My server is now disconnected from the network and here is the status of my SSSTest server:
    1) exec sp_dropserver[MSC11SRV01095]
         exec sp_addserver[SSSTest],local
    2) This statement :
    Select @@ServerName ServerName, Host_name() HostName
    Returns:
    MSC11SRV01095 (old value!!!), SSSTest  (correct new value)

3) Object Explorer is showing the change, so Instance name is SSSTest.

Is it now safe to connect the server to the network?
    Why is @@servername still showing the old value?
    When checking services.msc the services are showing "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" as on the production box, is this OK?

Thanks,
    Richard

• Did you restart SQL after sp_drop and sp_addserver? You need to. 
    Be sure to perform the SP steps:

sp_dropserver <old_name>;GO
    sp_addserver <new_name>, local;GO

When checking services.msc the services are showing "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" as on the production box, is this OK? refers to the instance name, unless you named it LOCALHOST\DIFFERENTNAME it will show up as MSSQLSERVER, the default instance name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker - Friday, May 19, 2017 3:57 AM

Did you restart SQL after sp_drop and sp_addserver? You need to. 
    Be sure to perform the SP steps:

sp_dropserver <old_name>;GO
    sp_addserver <new_name>, local;GO

When checking services.msc the services are showing "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" as on the production box, is this OK? refers to the instance name, unless you named it LOCALHOST\DIFFERENTNAME it will show up as MSSQLSERVER, the default instance name.

of course, stupid me, forgot the Restart thing.

THANK YOU.
    Richard

• Take a look in this post - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/si-vis-pacem-para-sql/2016/10/02/changing-sql-server-name/

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Hello,
    I appreciate all the help I am getting  here,  my new test server sys.servers show the new server with test details.
    Columns values are:
    Name = SpacemanTest
    Product= Sql Server
    Provider=SQLNCLI
    Data Source=SpacemanTest

Host name is SpacemanTEst and it has a different IP address. When I connect the server to the network my Producion connect is complaining, see attached message.  When I disconnect the server I can browse my Production database without any problems.

Server was rebooted. Is there anything else I am missing?

Kind Regards,
    Richard

• richlion2 - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:02 AM

Hello,
    I appreciate all the help I am getting  here,  my new test server sys.servers show the new server with test details.
    Columns values are:
    Name = SpacemanTest
    Product= Sql Server
    Provider=SQLNCLI
    Data Source=SpacemanTest

Host name is SpacemanTEst and it has a different IP address. When I connect the server to the network my Producion connect is complaining, see attached message.  When I disconnect the server I can browse my Production database without any problems.

Server was rebooted. Is there anything else I am missing?

Kind Regards,
    Richard

I'd check the browser service in the sql configuration manager.

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Hello,

Thank you all for responding. After a bit of digging and raising a call with Microsoft it turned out there are other things involved, as this is about cloning a server. Here are just the few changes that would have to be done:
    1) Clone Live server
    2) Change host name and IP address on clone
    3) Change MAC address (when we clone a VM it often comes with the same MAC address).
    4) Change the SQL Server instance name
    5) Follow this procedure to clone (related to the SID)
    http://www.kendalvandyke.com/2009/01/changing-machine-sid-with-newsid-breaks.html
    Very criptic and time consuming.

In my case as we want to simulate a change we will use a different apporach. Plan for 2 hours downtime, disconnenct the Live server, connect the cloned server, do the testing that is needed and reverse the connections.

Kind Regards,
    Richard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply