Rename master.mdf Data File

• There is a bug in a third-party monitoring tool we are using. The problem is caused by the database "master" having the same name as the datafile "master.mdf". They want me to rename "master.mdf" to something else like "masterdata.mdf".

Can this be done? I don't like messing with master and may just live with the bug. I do have a dev server for testing (and breaking). The server is SQL Server 2005 SP3.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy

• <soapbox>

They have a bug, they fix the bug, modifying the SYSTEM databases to fix THEIR problem is unacceptable.

It might be possible, and even if it is I still wouldn't even consider it.

Such a bug in elementry at best, if you've paid for this tool demand credit on your licensing or support for the period it was unuseable due to their defect.

</soapbox>

Short answer, don't do it.

CEWII

• You know that "rock" and "hard place"? Guess where I am. SQL Server is the new-kid-on-the-block in a predominately Oracle shop. I'm tasked with using the SQL Server plug-in for the Oracle monitoring tool - OEM. Fear not - it's on "their list" to fix, but with no ETA.

I'm inclined to follow your advice and setup SQL Alerts for the one part of the monitoring that isn't working due to this bug until (or "if") it get fixed.

Thanks for confiming my apprehension.

Cindy

• Your apprehension is justified. I *might* be more inclined to do this for a user database, resistance would be harder to justify, but system databases, not even for a second, nope, not gonna do it. Setting up alerts seems like a good work around.

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply