Rename database server SQL2K5/SP2

• Has anyone had any issues with renaming the default instance of SQL2k5 server. I've done it a number of times for a 2K install without problems :crazy:.

Enjoy
    "Give them the tools:crazy: ... Not the keys:smooooth:"

• In SQL Server 2005 you can simply rename the database using GUI or using the command sp_renamedb old_name,new_name.

• renamed 2005 servers - worked the same as 2000, unless I missed something! ( non clustered stand alone servers, no replication, mirroring or such )

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• The last time I did this I only had two issues.

One was a Reporting Services setting that didn't get updated by the RS Configuration wizard (I had to manually update a config file).

The other was that maintenance plan jobs still had a reference to the old server name and they wouldn't run and couldn't be deleted after the server was renamed. I had to export them as .dtsx files, edit them, and then re-import them just to even be able to delete them. I'm not sure how to determine if you might have the same problem, but if you created maintenance plans using the wizard (which is how I started the plans I had), then you might want to script them out and delete them before you rename the server, and then recreate them after.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply