rename an Instance in a SQL Server 2008 R2 Active Passive Cluster

• We have a SQL Server 2008 R2 Active Passive Cluster.   We have one Instance that was setup but never used.

We would like to change the name from MYSQLINSTANCE\MYINSTANCE to MYSQLINSTANCE

I have found a few articles that say you can rename the instance in the Cluster.   Has anyone ever done this and\or can you point me to a good step by step article for performing this?

• Jpotucek - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:45 AM

We have a SQL Server 2008 R2 Active Passive Cluster.   We have one Instance that was setup but never used.

I have found a few articles that say you can rename the instance in the Cluster.   Has anyone ever done this and\or can you point me to a good step by step article for performing this?

You currently have a named instance installed. You would need to deploy a new clustered default instance to replace the one you have running.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:13 AM

Jpotucek - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:45 AM

We have a SQL Server 2008 R2 Active Passive Cluster.   We have one Instance that was setup but never used.

You currently have a named instance installed. You would need to deploy a new clustered default instance to replace the one you have running.

IS there a way to rename like this:   MYSQLINSTANCE\MYINSTANCE to MYSQLINSTANCE\MYNEWINSTANCE  without actually uninstalling and reinstalling?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply