Removing service account from local administor group

• Hi Everyone,

Recently while doing database security hardening, the local administrator permission was removed from my sql service account. This generated some errors for the sql server service.

Seems like I have missed out some access. Anyone have any idea what the below error points to or what access should I give to resolve this error ?

The database is on SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

The server is on Windows Server 2003 R2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x5, status code 0x51. Reason: Unable to configure MDAC-compatibility Named Pipes protocol pipe name in registry. Access is denied.

Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, ewview the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.

SQL Server could not spawn FRunCM thread. CHeck the SQL Server error log and the Windows event logs for information about possible related problems.

ResUtilsStartResourceService failed

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Thank You !

Regards,

Al

• TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x5, status code 0x51. Reason: Unable to configure MDAC-compatibility Named Pipes protocol pipe name in registry. Access is denied.

This is because the access to registry keys is denied. Please make use of Regmon utility to track down the issue

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• Doesn't SS Config Manager set those for you when you specify a service account/password using it?

Frank Ramage

• Hi Frank,

I have read that and have tried using a brand new account with no rights at all. I gave the account permissions as provided by Microsoft in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx and configured it using the Config Manager but the services just do not start up successfully.

Thanks Pradeep, the regmon/process monitor really helps a lot. From the process monitor, I realised that it requires access to several registry.

• Do you remember what permissions were needed?  I am trying to connect to a SQL instance on a Docker container with the default container administrator account and it is causing the same error here, and I can't use Process Monitor due to it being a container with no UI.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply