Remove Help

• hi,

i am new to sql server 2005, i am currently doing my project by using sql server, in my project i need few reports to generate,

so can you tell me should i use view in database side or should i use query in my vb application or if any new ways please help me?

Thanks,

Pheona.

~ Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?

• Hi,

I am guessing that you are a student and that you have a project to complete, possibly a last year project.

If you want to generate a few reports from SQL, you may simply code the report entirely in SQL Reporting Services and then when you want to include the report in your project, say on a web page, you just insert the Hyperlink to that report. Once you click the link, the report will generate. Keep your web page simple.

Alternatively, you can write in ASP.NET a query to load a table on the web page. This is also possible but I think there is more work this way. If the report you are running can be viewed independently of any other parameters on the web page so that it makes sense to just fire it when needed, then go for the SQL Reporting Services option and save your time.

Thanks

Osama

• hi ,

actually i am using vb and not asp .net, and i am not using reporting services, i am asking about report in vb for that sql query or view should i use for 1ster access,anyways thanks for ur reply and i will try myself to findout the solutions.

Thanks,

Pheona.

~ Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?

• Hey Pheona,

Why are you not using Stored Procedure to produce the result set

for your report.

which is a good way to handle the performance in SQL Server

rather than creating view and using Sql Query in VB Application.

Cheers!

Sandy.

--

• You can do this with client side code in VB. It works, but it's not the best choice since you're sacrificing the power of SQL Server in order to put all your code in one place. I assume when said a view, you meant to do the joins in SQL and then run the queries from VB. Again, this is still putting aside the power of SQL Server. A better approach is to write stored procedures within the server. These can be tuned and changed independently from the VB code, which can also be tuned and changed independently from the database code. This is the standard approach used by most developers and database professionals.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply