Remove database from Distributed Availability Group replica AG ONLY!

• Hi, all!

I have an existing always on availability group on-prem and last week created a second one in AWS.  After that, I created a distributed availability group with on-prem as primary and AWS as the replica AG.

Being new to SQL Server, I configured automatic seeding without thinking for a second that it would immediately start seeding all of the databases.  But that’s not really my issue.

There are only about 10 databases that need replicated to the secondary AG and only five of those to the secondary replica of the secondary AG.  I’ve tried setting “HADR OFF” but it only works on the secondary replica.  The command runs fine on the forwarder but it never actually gets removed.

I’ve found a lot of articles about removing a DB from a DAG, but they all say to run the commands from the primary replica on the primary AG.  But that’ll remove the DB from the on-prem AG too, won’t it?  I only want it removed from the secondary AG.

Has anyone done this before or know how to do it?  Would removing the DAG and starting over but choosing to seed manually allow me to pick and choose the databases that get replicated via the DAG?

If you’re still reading, thank you for taking the time!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Removing a database from an AG does not delete or remove the database from SQL Server.  All it does is removes it from the database from the availability group so it stops synchronizing with all secondary replicas.

Once the DB has been removed from the AG - you can then make changes to that database on the secondary as needed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply